Thursday, March 22, 2012

Some Cool Firsts

We've been doing a few firsts for Ethan and I think they turned out pretty well.  Over the weekend a friend came out to do some sensory play with Ethan.  He hasn't really had much experience with this kind of play and we weren't sure how he would take it.  Some children are quite sensitive and are really bothered by sensory play.  Ethan has responded like this in the past.  But it is an aspect of him not attending daycare/preschool that has been somewhat on my mind.   Despite the lack of peer interaction, he is also missing out on all that sensory play that kids have in these settings.  I never quite think to set him up with activities so I called on the expertise of a friend.


I was pleasantly surprised  by how much he actually enjoyed himself. 


He played in the bubbles for about 20 minutes and most of the bubbles were gone when he decided he'd had enough.

For the past couple weeks we have been trialing a new walker for Ethan.  Although it has some great features, we're not sure it is the right walker for him right now.  You need two people to load him in to it and that just isn't practical during the daytime when there is typically only one caregiver with him.  And making him wait until both Clayton and I are home doesn't provide him with sufficient weight bearing time as far as I'm concerned.  Anyway, they were coming to pick up the walker on Monday so I thought I would have it ready for them to pick up.


I took him outside for the first time with a walker.  He resisted it, but then did walk a bit.  He did the distance of our front yard and turned around to go back.


Then he tried to venture up our driveway....but since that is not a smooth pave it was more difficult than he expected. He was out for about 20 minutes.


Please excuse my narrative in the video...it is rather high pitched sounding.  :(  As well, try to overlook his fancy sunglasses.  It was a really sunny day and I couldn't remember where we'd stashed his sunglasses so I grabbed Lorelei's.



1 comment:

  1. Yay yay yay!! So glad you tried it! Mess is good lol!
    Ethan looks great movin and shakin down the sidewalk. And you know in a year or two he won't talk to you if you put girl's sunglassess on him, just sayin'. lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete