Friday, November 19, 2010

Odd Collections...

We're all guilty of it in some way...we collect (or used to) different things.  For some it is stickers, funky erasers, stamps...growing up I started a shot glass collection.  Each glass had a different image on it, kind of like the little spoons people collect, just in shot glass form.  As I travelled a lot in my younger years, I started a barf bag collection for a friend by writing letters to her on the (unused of course) barf bags during my travels.  But my latest collection isn't really one I want to continue to build on.  It just seems to keep happening...  I guess in all fairness it is more of Ethan's collection than mine...


If you're not sure what you're looking at, it is a hospital band.  We had to bring Ethan to the ER (by ambulance - no sirens/lights) again because he had another seizure.  This one was totally different from the first one and lasted about 13 minutes.  He stopped just as the EMS guys arrived.  Although his neurologist doesn't really know yet (I've left a message for him), the EMS/ER staff think (and so do we) that it was another febrile seizure.  Or to be technical another seizure during a febrile period.  It was a pretty short ER visit though as we were only there 3 hours this time.  It took Ethan a long time to settle again once we got him home, but he seems to be doing alright.  He has an infection at his g-tube site and they think that could have caused the fever this time.

Today is Lorelei's special day at school (they have one a month).  She is to bring in a picture or item which is a sign of fall.  I was thinking to myself in our case it would be a photo of an ambulance since that is the second time we've had to call them.  Of course she went with the more conventional dried leaves and sticks.

We were much calmer this time around, and I think in turn that kept Lorelei calmer.  She was interested to see the ambulance, the EMS guys check Ethan over and then (to my surprise) the fire truck that showed up at our house and their crew who hurried in - and out again quickly since EMS was already on site.  Too much excitement for me, I think Ethan knew I was hoping to go to sleep as soon as he did to try and catch up on some MUCH needed rest.  So much for that plan.  Lorelei did have an exciting night though as she had her first sleep over (a friend of mine kept her for the night).

2 comments:

  1. I was laughing at the collection, we have the same band collection. We can be weird together! Then my stomach did a flip when I read that the pictured band was because of another seizure. I am so relieved to hear that it ended quickly and that you were all home soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I have the collection started as well! I even keep the same red ALLERGY band he has to wear, even though it has no other info on it. I'm sorry I had to run into you up on 7 last week. I hope you guys are doing well. :(

    ReplyDelete