Friday, May 4, 2012

In the News

This week there was a news item on MSN that caught my attention.  A Toronto couple has been threatened to have their 3 week old son taken from them because CAS (Children's Aide Society) does not think they can care for him because both parents have cerebral palsy.  The following is a video of them caring for their son.  You can see that they are only limited by their gross motor skills and speech.  They really have a great fighting attitude, love and the desire to parent their son.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/05/01/toronto-mississauga-disabled-couple-fight-to-keep-son.html

Just last week I was talking with someone who has had to deal with CAS and they were telling me how difficult it can be to get CAS to intervene in situations they really should.  And here they marginalize those who really care for their child and want to do the best for him.  The above story really bothered me.  It's not like we know what Ethan's future will bring, but if he is capable, I would not want someone with their preconceived notions (likely negative) to determine that he is unfit to be a father to his child.  I think this gives great hope to parents of children with special needs and likely to those who have some limitations but are still quite capable in other ways.  I can't help but think of all those children that are born into families under less than ideal conditions, those who are unloved, those who go uncared for, most strongly those drug addicted babies we heard in the hospital during so many of Ethan's stays.  To knowingly, intentionally (call it what you will) do this to a child...I gets me so riled up I cannot be politically correct about it.  At the minimum it makes me want to knock some sense into people.  But enough about my soapbox lecture...to the real point of my post!

I was moved to tears today with the following news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/05/04/toronto-cerebral-palsy.html

I just want to share the good news with anyone who'll listen!  :) 

1 comment: