Saturday, January 29, 2011

Update Since Wednesday

So I shot the following video last Monday when Ethan was feeling okay and thought I would share it.  He had just gotten in trouble for playing with his cables a couple times - trying to put them in his mouth.  (Just the "No, thank you Ethan!" kind of trouble.) And then I caught him red handed.


On Wednesday night (I guess really Thursday morning...that's what 2 a.m. would be, right?! ;)), Ethan took a turn for the worse.  They were giving him about 4 litres of oxygen by nasal prongs (I've been told 3 feels like gale force winds), trying high amounts of blow-by and then tried a mask and his oxygen saturation remained in the 70's.  So they decided to send him to the Paediatric Critical Care Unit (PCCU).  They gave up on all other measures and put a mask on him so they would know just how much oxygen he was getting.  He was very lethargic and moaned during waking periods.  I only found out later that morning when Clayton called the house.  He was in the PCCU until about two hours ago.  They had thought he might be okay to come back to the ward yesterday but wanted to be sure they wouldn't have to take him back into the PCCU so kept him another night.  His oxygen requirements are down again.  He is doing well on 2 litres of oxygen by nasal prongs, is having more waking periods and is in a better mood overall.  He's quite chatty too.  I love that he keeps saying, "Mmmmommm".  :)

2 comments:

  1. What a monkey!! He is such a cutie :)

    I hope that he is continuing to improve and is home soon! You must be sick of the hospital by now, even if it is brand spankin new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I've been so far behind, I saw you mention that you guys were in the hospital, but for some reason I missed all of the updates. What a scare he's given you! So glad to hear he's out of the PCCU and back onto the ward. Oh, that sweet little guy. I'll look for you in the halls later this week. If all goes well, we'll be in PCCU later tomorrow and then to the floor in a day or two. Here's hoping we're all home a week from now.

    ReplyDelete