Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I Could...

...cry.  This is how I felt yesterday morning heading to work.  Before I left on Tuesday morning, Ethan had thrown up twice - I was suspecting a GI bug.  It has been a week since his last discharge from hospital how can he be sick again already?  Lorelei was home with Clayton because she kept having off and on low grade fevers.  At work I got a message from Clayton to stop on my way home to get some Pedialyte.  By the time I got home around 5 PM, he had been sick a total of 11 times.  We brought him to a clinic and were told it likely is a GI bug.  They thought we'd be alright at home trying to keep him hydrated with Pedialyte.  Small amounts (about 10 ml) ever hour or so...  That did not go any better and by morning he may have retained about 10 ml of Pedialyte and maybe 15 ml of water.  He screamed every hour through the night and I'm sure ground off whatever back teeth he might have he was grinding so hard.  We tried Tylenol but that didn't seem to help much.  Then this morning he had his paediatrician appointment and we were told that he is a bit dehydrated but he should be okay at home unless he doesn't produce any wet diapers.  We are running his feeds at continuous (just means it pretty much runs 24 hours a day), and I was told that the volume suggested will keep his bare minimum hydration up.  He slept most of the day and now that it is bedtime, of course, is not going to sleep despite being exhausted.  Anytime you move him (IE: from his crib to the bed) he vomits.  Much of the time he hates being touched...and very infrequently he is his usual self.  For the month of March, he only attended daycare once (Monday before he got sick).  I'm not saying I blame the daycare for this since any one of us could have carried the GI bug home (or he could have gotten it elsewhere)...but the timing is uncanny.  He was to spend the weekend in respite and we were hoping to complete some work on our house...but I will have to cancel his stay (again).

1 comment:

  1. OH NO!!!! Ugh, I'm so sad to read this! Tomorrow is April. It HAS to be the end of this for you guys. I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping that Ethan recovers quickly from this bug and life gets back on track for you soon.

    ReplyDelete