Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cast Follow Up

So...Ethan went for his cast follow up appointment and they did cut out more space for his belly.  It is funny, I watched them do it but it really doesn't look like they made much of a difference.  He was so great during his appointment.  He just wore the cool head protectors and giggled while they did the first bit of trimming and ended up falling asleep and staying that way as we did another adjustment to the cast.  There was another child there who was not taking cast removal quite as well.  Lots of screaming!  The different reactions were pretty interesting.  Once they were putting the new casts on this child, it was a whole different story (or stories) as we heard lots of chattering and giggles.

Ethan's appointment ran really late so he missed out on a meal since we did not dare feed him while he was in a seated position.  The bright side of that for Clayton and I is that we should hopefully be able to go to bed earlier tonight.

And now for the bad news from the appointment...the surgeon said that he did not get the kind of correction he wanted.  In fact it doesn't look as good as it did in December.  He said he would ask his assistant to try to find him some OR time so he can remove and redo Ethan's cast.  :(  Meanwhile he wanted to make Ethan as comfortable as he could.  I know the surgeon will be away from clinics for a couple weeks so I imagine it will be sometime in the next week or two.

A quick update on Lorelei, I'm quite proud of her reaction to her latest immunization.  Clayton had said she screamed the entire time before and during her flu immunization until he told her it was all done and we expected a similar behaviour.  But yesterday she went with me for her Chicken Pox booster and didn't even say "OW".  She had told me before that she was nervous about it and I said I feel the same way about needles.  When it was her turn, she sat on my lap, I held her arm and her face away from the needle and she didn't flinch, yell or cry.  She did great!  Even the doctor's secretary said she was proud of her.  :)  As a reward, she got to pick out supper and a treat.  No big surprises on her supper choice - McDonald's!  But she deserved it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh crap, I'm really sorry that he has to be re-casted. That is not nice to hear, I am sure you were really disappointed. Thank goodness the Dr. was on top of it though and is going to get him back in soon. Ethan is such a trooper! Love his giggles.
    Lorelei should be very proud of herself for sure! Way to go big girl!

    ReplyDelete