Wednesday, February 1, 2012

New Month, New Cast

Ethan's casting went well today.  For the first time I was able to join him in the OR before a procedure/surgery.  The hospital he goes to has a program allowing you to be there while they go to sleep for an 'elective' procedure/surgery and we only did the training when he was in for his last cast (I didn't even know the program existed until about a year ago).  I was pleasantly surprised that they let me come in with him since we had forgotten to call ahead to see if we could.  Even up until he was called to the OR, I expected them to say no because they have a pretty tight protocol on when you can go in and Ethan's health puts him in a category that I figured would exclude us.  He did really well going to sleep.  It wasn't that much different than watching him go under for an MRI.  The doctor putting him under was really great.  She sang him a fun song.  I am a little concerned about how he will handle his feeds right now and believe that he likely will not tolerate sitting much (it looks VERY snug around the tummy).

I have not taken a picture of him in the cast yet but did grab one from last night after his bath.


Here he is doing some morning stretches before we got him off to the hospital.



And getting ready for the OR.


When Ethan went into the OR, Clayton and I headed to his neurosurgery appointment.  We went over the MRI results from last week.  As it turns out, Ethan's MRI showed that everything is stable.  His ventricles, Dandy-Walker cyst and cysty.  They're all the same as they were post surgery in April.  She plans to scan him again in 9-12 months.  This is pretty great news.  (And you can bet I've touched wood a good dozen times or more today.)

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! Fabulous news!! Funny how 10 years ago it would've seemed odd if someone told you 'stable' would be the one word that makes you want to kick up your heels and cheer, eh? What a cutie. He's such a great kid.

    ReplyDelete